Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What is your motivation?

Please think about these questions for a few minutes.

What drives your actions? When I say actions, I'm not referring to life altering decisions per se. Think about your daily routine. It could be the shows you watch, or the games you play. What about the friends you hang out with, or the overall mundane things that occupy your time.

Now ask: "Why?"

Why do I watch those particular shows? Could it be that you don't really watch it because the plot is enticing, but because deep down inside you know this episode will have its fill of steamy sex?

Why do you hang out with your friends? Is it because you have found you can be someone else with this particular group? Or maybe, just maybe, you initiate friendships with people just because you have a little inkling they may become famous one day? After all, it could be really cool to mention that you knew so and so from way back in your "glory days. "

Why do you spend time with God? Could it be that daily devotionals have turned into just one more point on your checklist before you can rest and go to bed, instead of a pleasure filled activity of coming to know the Almighty God? Is your time with God a religious duty that you feel obligated to fulfill?

I am reminded of Romans 12:2 which states, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." In everything there is an inclination behind it. I have found often times that our actions are driven by motivations and desires within us that have been premeditated. Sadly, if we scrutinize every area of our lives, we may find that many acts are not driven by a pure and holy predisposition that upholds the standard set in Romans. Why is this? Simply, it is a failure on our parts to humble and make ourselves vulnerable to the work of the Holy Spirit within us. We believe that allowing Him a vote on our life changing decisions (such as marriage, career choice, etc.) is enough. What we don't realize is that He wants TOTAL control, even of the most uneventful areas of our lives. Yet we insist on just limiting Him anyways. It's as if we say, "You can only have part of me." I personally don't think this sits very well with a jealous God.

David understood the importance of having his motivations derive from God's heart. In one of my favorite passages in Psalm he declares, "Keep you servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me, Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the Words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock, and my Redeemer. " (Psalm 19:13-14) Furthermore in Psalm 139:23-24 he fervently asks God, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."

David broke himself and made himself completely vulnerable to God. He held nothing back. Despite everything bad thing he did, he was constantly allowing God to come in and transform his desires and motivations. Even though he was as sinful as the next person, he understood the importance of evaluating his life. This is why he is known as a man after God's own heart.

Become vulnerable before Him.

3 comments:

  1. I agree and I still have parts of my life that are due to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I have been thinking about some of what you said recently. Where do my actions come from? What could change? How does that look? I have been guilty of checking the religious box without engaging. To really live for God I need to be available and open. Pride hinders this, but the Lord disciplines those He loves, so if I do not humble myself then He will. Thanks for sharing.
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. great posting... your surroundings and common environments end up defining you...Let then our lives be Christ-centered.

    ReplyDelete